Monday, February 20, 2012

Walking by Faith (Part 1)


I’m going for it - my next few entries will mark the first series of posts I’ve done. I don’t have it planned out or anything (except for the topic), but we’ll see how I feel inspired to write each one, as well as how many to write. Feel free to follow along and comment on each/any of them!

               _____________________________________________________________________


To start, Paul, in his second letter to the Corinthians, makes a statement that has profoundly impacted my life over the past half a year or so. It is a statement that I had certainly heard before 6 months ago, but to my regret had given very little attention to it.
2 Corinthians 5:7 reads, “for we walk by faith, not by sight”.
This theme of walking by faith is much larger in the New Testament than just this verse, but I believe that it gives a succinct description of how Paul lived his life; and I am certain that it is how God expects every disciple of His to live. Paul actually expresses this same principle in a few different ways, and with different emphasis’, throughout His letters:
 “…who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.” (Rom. 8:4)
“Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Col. 3:2)
Jesus himself speaks to this same principle twice in the book of Matthew (as far as I can tell thus far anyway). I found it rather interesting that both are actually in the context of a rebuke directed at Peter:
“For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” (Matt. 16:23)
 “The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matt. 26:41)
I think I’ll let you chew on these scriptures for now. If there is anything that you feel lead to share concerning this topic (revelation, more verses, etc.), please don’t hesitate to comment – personally, it will help me out tremendously as I continue to go deeper in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment