Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Confess the Truth About Yourself


Back in January I wrote about how there are two sides to biblical confession in the life of a believer: the confession of sin and the confession of truth. Both are found throughout the scriptures. However, one is leaned on heavily in the church today (confession of sin), while the other is actually quite neglected in practice (confession of truth). The truth is that both have a place in our lives, but one is more necessary to grasp. It is my belief that if we get truth into our confession more then sin will be in our confession less.

Read my post from January 28th of this year to read more of an explanation of this subject:

Today, I simply want to give you a few verses that are in my confession regularly. Most of these particular truths are focused on identity (who you are in Christ). My challenge to you is to confess these things daily to the Holy Spirit for the next week or two and watch your confidence in who you are in Christ grow exponentially. Making this a daily practice takes no more than a few minutes, but make no mistake - doing it by faith has more eternal significance than we know.
Note: It is important that we don't just speak these things to the air (nothing will happen), we need to confess them to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit Himself supernaturally transforms us to become the very things that we confess about ourselves from God's Word. The demonstration of the Spirit follows the declaration of a believer. It is His work, but He won't do it apart from us.
The following are ten confessions that are true about every disciple of Jesus: 
  • I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:21).
  • I have been re-created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:24).
  • My sin has been separated from me as far as the east is from the west (Ps. 103:12).
  • I am dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus (Rom. 6:11)
  • I am a slave to righteousness (Rom. 6:18).
  • There is no condemnation for me because I am in Christ (Rom. 8:1).
  • I am a child and heir of God (Rom. 8:16).
  • I am a new creation in Christ, the old is gone and the new has come (2 Cor. 5:17).
  • I am an image-bearer of God (1 Cor. 15:49).
  • I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in heaven (Eph. 1:3).
There are countless others I could list, and probably will in the future. But for now, each of these scriptures are packed with truth about who you are in Christ. Through faith, get them into your confession today and watch the Holy Spirit cause the Word to become flesh again in you. Seriously, start today!

Be Blessed!
Andrew

PS - as always, comments are appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment